Discoveries from the Treasures of English Freemasonry
Antients Apron c1806
An Antients Grand Lodge leather apron hand painted with various Masonic emblems including the All Seeing Eye. The apron was worn by Augustine Harrison, who was initiated into the Antients’ Marquis of Granby Lodge No24 in Canterbury on 31 May 1806. The lodge was named after the tavern in which it met. In 1819 the lodged merged with Industrious Lodge No 416 to become the United Industrious Lodge re numbered as No 31 in 1894 and continues to this day to meet in Canterbury.
A silver candelabrum presented to the Duke of Sussex to mark his 25 years as Grand Master 1838
The candelabrum is rich in Masonic symbolism. The panel at the rear of the piece portrays the scene of the Act of Union between the Antients and Moderns Grand Lodges in 1813, with the two Grand Masters, the Duke of Sussex and the Duke of Kent. This is, as far as is known, the only depiction of one of the most momentous events in English Freemasonry. The widow of the Duke of Sussex, the Duchess of Inverness, donated the candelabrum to the Library and Museum of Freemasonry in 1845.It is one of the most striking exhibits in the Museum and has tarnished very little over time, largely as a result of of the microclimate that has formed in its wood and glass case.
Past Master’s Collar Jewel 1866
A past master’s collar jewel of unusual design – a circular, cast and engraved roundel with an engraved wheat and acacia design (indicating Grand Rank). The jewel was made for Gilbert Greenall, 1st Lord Daresbury, who was initiated into the Lodge of Lights No 148 in 1850 and was Master in the centenary year 1865. He was appointed and invested Senior Grand Warden of the UGLE the following year.
This article has been reproduced with the kind permission of the editor, Richard Gan and the publisher of “The Treasures of English Freemasonry 1717- 2017”. Copies of the book are available from Lewis Masonic; www.lewismasonic.co.uk”.